OldTools Archive

Recent Search Bios FAQ

266507 RH <rhhutchins@h...> 2018‑09‑13 Coupla Things
First, can someone please educate me about using the archives?

Second, does anyone remember a thread some years ago about a guy (in AZ, 
IIRC) who had a website that sells pencils and pencil sharpeners?

The reason for my first request is to become more proficient at using 
the archives so that I don't have to ask questions like the second one 
but can be independent in finding things in them.  I figured out that I 
could put the word 'pencil' in the search argument and that I'd get a 
slew and a half of hits.  The problem was that I got too many hits so 
that searching thru them is dang nigh impossible.  I then saw the 
'Recent' option, but that doesn't suit my need because the thread was 
years ago . . .   maybe more than a decade.  So, I'd like to know how to 
better formulate search arguments and how to sort hits so that going 
through them is a prospect with reasonable probabilities of success.  I 
didn't see anything in FAQ, but at my age missing things is not uncommon.

Of course my second request is to help me find out if the guy is still 
in business.

Thanks in advance!
Bob Hutchins, Temple, TX (a small city in the American Southwest, Jeff)
266508 Kirk Eppler <eppler.kirk@g...> 2018‑09‑13 Re: Coupla Things
Bob
Googling

site:swingleydev.com "pencil sharpener" arizo
na gets zero hits

site:swingleydev.com "pencil sharpener"  gets
 117 (but only about 20 for
real, the rest are duplicates)

The first one is from you 2008, checking out some other guys sharpener, but
it doesn't link back to the original email.  The recent isn't working to
let me look "around" that one.  I suspect that is it though.  Maybe some
words from the message you received back may help.

I swear I bought from him, but can't find any orders right now.  But I do
have lots of cool old school sharpeners (old style, not them fancy crank
things)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM, RH  wrote:

> First, can someone please educate me about using the archives?
>
> Second, does anyone remember a thread some years ago about a guy (in AZ,
> IIRC) who had a website that sells pencils and pencil sharpeners?
>
> The reason for my first request is to become more proficient at using the
> archives so that I don't have to ask questions like the second one but can
> be independent in finding things in them.  I figured out that I could put
> the word 'pencil' in the search argument and that I'd get a slew and a half
> of hits.  The problem was that I got too many hits so that searching thru
> them is dang nigh impossible.  I then saw the 'Recent' option, but that
> doesn't suit my need because the thread was years ago . . .   maybe more
> than a decade.  So, I'd like to know how to better formulate search
> arguments and how to sort hits so that going through them is a prospect
> with reasonable probabilities of success.  I didn't see anything in FAQ,
> but at my age missing things is not uncommon.
>


-- 
Kirk Eppler, back in HMB after a trip to CT, and again, no tools, even tho
I looked behind 4 bushes and turned over 3 rocks.  But the real horror was
going to a True Value hardware store (Bristol CT?) a few miles from New
Britain Road, and finding exactly 0 planes on their shelves and hooks.
266515 RH <rhhutchins@h...> 2018‑09‑16 Re: Coupla Things
Thanks for the help, Kirk!

The sharpener I was looking for is made by KUM (Germany, I think) and 
has 2 different sized holes.  I found them on Amazon in a 3-pak for way 
too much geld (~$14USD).  Fleabay showed the price of a single unit at 
~$10USD.  While searching, I can across this URL: PencilThings - High 
quality writing and drawing products! <h
ttps://www.pencilthings.com/>

I think this might have been the site I remember from years ago. They 
still have the KUM 2-hole sharpener listed but as out of stock.  Their 
price each is $2USD.

Again thanks for the help.

Bob Hutchins
Temple, TX (a southwestern US state, Jeff)
266516 Kirk Eppler <eppler.kirk@g...> 2018‑09‑16 Re: Coupla Things
KUM was one brand I was going to suggest, as that is what I have at work,
in a single size. The shop has a two sized round one by M+R, model 602,
also out of Germany.  The body is brass, the holes are 90 degrees opposed.

Looks like it is Mobius & Ruppert, sold by Dick Block for $8.43., or one of
a choice at Amazon for $8.25.  I also have the 604 in the house, possibly
called a bullet or Castor.

I can't reach pencilthings from the home computer to see what the page
looks like, but the inventory looks similar.

Pencilthings is not in the archives

Kirk, putting away another guy's galoot timeline project, stalled by this
important email.

On Sep 16, 2018 10:22 AM, "RH"  wrote:

Thanks for the help, Kirk!

The sharpener I was looking for is made by KUM (Germany, I think) and
has 2 different sized holes.  I found them on Amazon in a 3-pak for way
too much geld (~$14USD).  Fleabay showed the price of a single unit at
~$10USD.  While searching, I can across this URL: PencilThings - High
quality writing and drawing products! <h
ttps://www.pencilthings.com/>

I think this might have been the site I remember from years ago. They
still have the KUM 2-hole sharpener listed but as out of stock.  Their
price each is $2USD.

Again thanks for the help.

Bob Hutchins
Temple, TX (a southwestern US state, Jeff)


On 9/13/2018 4:57 PM, Kirk Eppler wrote:
> Bob
> Googling
>
> > site:swingleydev.com <http://swingleydev.com> "pencil sharpener"
> arizona gets zero hits
>
> > site:swingleydev.com <http://swingleydev.com> "pencil sharpener"  gets
> 117 (but only about 20 for real, the rest are duplicates)
>
> The first one is from you 2008, checking out some other guys
> sharpener, but it doesn't link back to the original email.  The recent
> isn't working to let me look "around" that one.  I suspect that is it
> though.  Maybe some words from the message you received back may help.
>
> I swear I bought from him, but can't find any orders right now.  But I
> do have lots of cool old school sharpeners (old style, not them fancy
> crank things)
>
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
OldTools is a mailing list catering to the interests of hand tool
aficionados, both collectors and users, to discuss the history, usage,
value, location, availability, collectibility, and restoration of
traditional handtools, especially woodworking tools.

To change your subscription options:
https://old
tools.swingleydev.com/mailman/listinfo/oldtools

To read the FAQ:
https://swingleydev.com/archi
ve/faq.html

OldTools archive: https://swingleydev.com/
ot/

OldTools@s...
266532 "JTG" <jgrot@s...> 2018‑09‑18 Re: Coupla Things
Bob,

Out of stock at this place, too.
https://www.jetpens.com/Kum-No.-410-Magnesium-Pencil-Sharpener-2-Hole/pd/
165
25#index=0
(JetPens.com)

But you can have them send an email when their stock arrives.

Jeff

PS The usual disclaimer of financially uninvolved, but satisfied customer.

> -----Original Message-----
> > From: OldTools [mailto:oldtools-boun
ces@s...] On Behalf Of
> Kirk Eppler
> Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2018 3:31 PM
> To: Robert Hutchins 
> Cc: Tools Old 
> Subject: Re: [OldTools] Coupla Things
> 
> KUM was one brand I was going to suggest, as that is what I have at work,
in
> a single size. The shop has a two sized round one by M+R, model 602, also
> out of Germany.  The body is brass, the holes are 90 degrees opposed.
> 
> Looks like it is Mobius & Ruppert, sold by Dick Block for $8.43., or one
of a
> choice at Amazon for $8.25.  I also have the 604 in the house, possibly
called a
> bullet or Castor.
> 
> I can't reach pencilthings from the home computer to see what the page
> looks like, but the inventory looks similar.
> 
> Pencilthings is not in the archives
> 
> Kirk, putting away another guy's galoot timeline project, stalled by this
> important email.
> 
> On Sep 16, 2018 10:22 AM, "RH"  wrote:
> 
> Thanks for the help, Kirk!
> 
> The sharpener I was looking for is made by KUM (Germany, I think) and has
2
> different sized holes.  I found them on Amazon in a 3-pak for way too much
> geld (~$14USD).  Fleabay showed the price of a single unit at ~$10USD.
While
> searching, I can across this URL: PencilThings - High quality writing and
> > drawing products! <https://www.penci
lthings.com/>
> 
> I think this might have been the site I remember from years ago. They
still
> have the KUM 2-hole sharpener listed but as out of stock.  Their price
each is
> $2USD.
> 
> Again thanks for the help.
> 
> Bob Hutchins
> Temple, TX (a southwestern US state, Jeff)
> 
> 
> On 9/13/2018 4:57 PM, Kirk Eppler wrote:
> > Bob
> > Googling
> >
> > > site:swingleydev.com <http://swingleydev.com> "pencil sharpener"
> > arizona gets zero hits
> >
> > > site:swingleydev.com <http://swingleydev.com> "pencil sharpener"  gets
> > 117 (but only about 20 for real, the rest are duplicates)
> >
> > The first one is from you 2008, checking out some other guys
> > sharpener, but it doesn't link back to the original email.  The recent
> > isn't working to let me look "around" that one.  I suspect that is it
> > though.  Maybe some words from the message you received back may
> help.
> >
> > I swear I bought from him, but can't find any orders right now.  But I
> > do have lots of cool old school sharpeners (old style, not them fancy
> > crank things)
> >
> >
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> OldTools is a mailing list catering to the interests of hand tool
aficionados,
> both collectors and users, to discuss the history, usage, value, location,
> availability, collectibility, and restoration of traditional handtools,
especially
> woodworking tools.
> 
> To change your subscription options:
> > https:/
/oldtools.swingleydev.com/mailman/listinfo/oldtools
> 
> To read the FAQ:
> > https://swingleydev.com/a
rchive/faq.html
> 
> > OldTools archive: https://swingleydev.
com/ot/
> 
> OldTools@s...
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> OldTools is a mailing list catering to the interests of hand tool
aficionados,
> both collectors and users, to discuss the history, usage, value, location,
> availability, collectibility, and restoration of traditional handtools,
especially
266533 scott grandstaff <scottg@s...> 2018‑09‑18 Re: pencil sharpeners
I do have lots of little manual sharpeners. They make so many darling 
ones and also really effective ones, that its impossible to resist.

  But really, .............. there is something wrong with mechanical 
advantage and speed? huh???

How's about a Lion?? This guy has a soft vinyl face, and his jaws fit 
the edge of the rotating cutter inside. So he "chews" the pencil sharp. 
He really does. Its awful cute.

http://users.snowcrest.net/kitty/sgrandstaff/images/house/pencilsharpen
er2.jpg

And you know the standard Eagles and stuff we grew up in grade school? 
Those still work a treat, same as they always did. Not hard to find 
either. I keep a couple veterans around.

  But you know what else?

Once upon a time they made pencil sharpeners with some class.

  http://users.snowcrest.net/kitty/sgrandstaff/images/house/pencilsharpe
ner.jpg
      yours Scott


-- 
*******************************
    Scott Grandstaff
    Box 409 Happy Camp, Ca  96039
    scottg@s...
    http://www.snowcrest.n
et/kitty/sgrandstaff/
    http://www.snowcr
est.net/kitty/hpages/index.html
266534 Kirk Eppler <eppler.kirk@g...> 2018‑09‑18 Re: pencil sharpeners
On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:56 AM, scott grandstaff 
wrote:

>
>
> Once upon a time they made pencil sharpeners with some class.
>
> >  http:/
/users.snowcrest.net/kitty/sgrandstaff/images/house/
> pencilsharpener.jpg
>


This is my favorite, a little class with a lot of terror.  It has since
been upgraded with a beefy LV blade.  I keep it at home for fear I  may get
in trouble bringing it to work.

ht
tps://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Woodworking-Tools/i-MWqJvjr


-- 
Kirk Eppler in HMB, CA, where taps & dies got sorted, misc chisels moved
about to appropriate piles for sharpening, and a little sharpening got done
last night.

Recent Search Bios FAQ