- Named after our dog Monte who is obsessed with catching squirrels.
17-Jan-2016 – 18-Jan-2016
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|4||pounds||(41%)||6-Row Malt (conditioned, gap 0.9 mm)|
|2½||pounds||(26%)||Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|2½||ounces||(2%)||Black Barley Malt|
|½||ounce||Cluster pellet hops, 8.2% AA (first wort hop)|
|¾||ounce||U.S. Golding pellet hops, 5.2% AA (60 minutes)|
|10||drops||Five Star Defoamer 105 (90 minutes)|
- Safale S-04 dry yeast, pitched at 66°F
- Starter: Started 15 minutes ahead in ¼ cup of 80°F water.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 36½ quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 14½ quarts water @ 158°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 151°F (Held 90 minutes), strike water @ 168°F addd to tun → 162°F + grain = 151°F. 147°F at the end of the mash.
- 22 quarts water @ 183°F, drain
- Stuck once during sparge, vorlauf 6 q wort before draining.
- Boiled 8 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 4½ gallons wort
- Wort prepared Sunday afternoon, boiled the next day. First wort hops remained in the wort overnight. Pre-boil gravity 1.032.
- Some boil-over, excessive evaporation.
- ½ gallon boiled, cooled water added to fermentor.
- Primary: bucket, 6 days, 64°F, temperature range 62–67°F, active fermentation the next morning after pitching, finished on day three.
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 68°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 4 weeks
- Ready to drink on 15-Feb-2016
|Starting Gravity: 1.048||Final Gravity: 1.011|
|Original Extract: 11.9°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.8°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.51°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.8% by volume||(3.8% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 76.4%||Mash Efficiency: 70%|
|Bitterness: 23 IBU||Color: 13 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.48||BV: 1.04|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|