- Recipe based on Jeff Renner's McGinty's Irish-American Red Ale, from the HBD. Named after our red dog Piper. I make this beer a lot and it's excellent.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|4||pounds||(41%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt (gap 0.9 mm)|
|3||pounds||(30%)||Gambrinus Organic Pale Malt|
|1.5||ounce||U.S. Fuggle (2009) whole hops, 4.1% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.5||ounces||U.S. Fuggle (2009) whole hops, 4.1% AA (60 minutes)|
- Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast, pitched at 68°F
- Starter: Pitched directly from smack pack.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 15 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1/2 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 1 tablespoon 5.2 pH Stabilizer.
- 15 quarts water @ 163°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 153°F (Held 120 minutes), Temperature range: 153 - 148 F.
- 22 quarts water @ 170°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 66°F, Temperature range 64 - 68 F
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 66°F, 1.016 at transfer.
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 3 weeks
- Ready to drink on 7-Oct-2012
|Starting Gravity: 1.049||Final Gravity: 1.013|
|Original Extract: 12.1°plato||Apparent Extract: 3.3°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.96°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.7% by volume||(3.7% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 72.7%||Mash Efficiency: 66%|
|Bitterness: 23 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.47||BV: 0.95|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|