- Recipe based on Jeff Renner's McGinty's Irish-American Red Ale, from the HBD. Named for our red dog Piper. I make this beer a lot and it's excellent.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|4.25||pounds||(42%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|3.0||pounds||(30%)||Briess 6-Row Malt|
|0.75||ounces||Willamette whole hops, 4.9% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.25||ounces||Willamette whole hops, 4.9% AA (60 minutes)|
|0.25||teaspoon||Irish Moss (10 minutes)|
- White Labs WLP010 Tenth Anniversary Ale Yeast, pitched at 68°F
- Starter: 3 quart starter (vial -> 3 quarts), continuously stirred, cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 37 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 15.0 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1.0 teaspoons Gypsum.
- 0.7 ml 88% lactic acid.
- 15 quarts water @ 165°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 154°F (Held 85 minutes), Temperature 147 F at the end of mash.
- 22 quarts water @ 179°F, drain
- Boiled 7.5 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: glass, 8 days, 68°F, Temperature range 70 - 66 F.
- Secondary: keg, 6 days, 66°F, 1.014 at transfer.
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 2 weeks
- Ready to drink on 15-Oct-2005
|Starting Gravity: 1.048||Final Gravity: 1.014|
|Original Extract: 11.9°plato||Apparent Extract: 3.6°plato|
|Real Extract: 5.16°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.4% by volume||(3.5% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 70.0%||Mash Efficiency: 70%|
|Bitterness: 28 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.58||BV: 1.11|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|