- Named after our red dog Piper, who died in 2012.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|7½||pounds||(71%)||6-Row Malt (gap 0.9 mm)|
|8||ounces||Cane Sugar (see notes below)|
|½||ounce||Simcoe pellet hops, 11.6% AA (first wort hop)|
|½||ounce||Simcoe pellet hops, 11.6% AA (45 minutes)|
|10||drops||Five Star Defoamer 105 (60 minutes)|
- Safale US-05 dry yeast, pitched at 64°F
- Starter: Started 30 minutes ahead in ¼ cup of 80°F water.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 36½ quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 16 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1 ml 88% lactic acid.
- Cane Sugar: added to offset bad mash efficiency
- 16 quarts water @ 163°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 153°F (Held 60 minutes), Temperature range: 153 - 150°F.
- 21½ quarts water @ 180°F, drain
- Boiled 8¼ gallons for 75 minutes to yield 5½ gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 21 days, 64°F, Temperature range 64 - 68°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2), fined with ½ t gelatin in ¼ cup water heated to 150°F
- Conditioned for 1 weeks
- Ready to drink on 16-Apr-2016
|Starting Gravity: 1.052||Final Gravity: 1.008|
|Original Extract: 12.9°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.1°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.14°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.8% by volume||(4.5% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 84.1%||Mash Efficiency: 62%|
|Bitterness: 31 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.60||BV: 1.53|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|