- A mild session beer. Named for our dog Nika who enjoyed bounding through the boreal forest on hikes and logging trips. She would have been sixteen yesterday.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|5||pounds||(77%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|7||ounces||(7%)||Rye meal (see notes below)|
|1||ounce||U.S. Fuggles whole hops, 5.0% AA (90 minutes)|
- White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast, pitched at 66°F
- Starter: 1 quart starter (vial -> 1 quarts), occasionally stirred, cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 30 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 8 quarts mash water treated with:
- 2 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 1 tablespoon 5.2 pH Stabilizer.
- Rye meal: Mixed with 1/4 pound 2-row, 1 1/2 quarts 160°F water, held at 148°F for 15 minutes. Heated to boiling, allowed to simmer for 30 minutes, added to main mash water in mashing step 2.
- 8 quarts water @ 160°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 151°F (Held 120 minutes), 146 F at the end of the mash
- 22 quarts water @ 175°F, drain
- Boiled 7 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 66°F
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 66°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 4 weeks
- Ready to drink on 27-Oct-2012
|Starting Gravity: 1.040||Final Gravity: 1.009|
|Original Extract: 10.0°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.31°plato|
|Real Extract: 3.75°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.0% by volume||(3.2% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 76.9%||Mash Efficiency: 77%|
|Bitterness: 19 IBU||Color: 6 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.47||BV: 1.04|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|