- Recipe based on Jeff Renner's McGinty's Irish-American Red Ale, from the HBD. Named for our red dog Piper. I make this beer a lot and it's excellent.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|4||pounds||(41%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt (gap 0.9 mm)|
|3||pounds||(30%)||Gambrinus Organic Pale Malt|
|1.5||ounce||U.S. Fuggle whole hops, 4.1% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.5||ounces||U.S. Fuggle whole hops, 4.1% AA (60 minutes)|
- Wyeast 1764 Rogue Pacman Yeast, pitched at 62°F
- Starter: 2 quart starter (pack -> 2 quarts wort), cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 15 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1/2 Campden tablet. Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 1 ml 88% lactic acid.
- 15 quarts water @ 167°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 156°F (Held 120 minutes), Temperature range: 156 - 152 F.
- 22 quarts water @ 180°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 66°F, Temperature range 64 - 68 F
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 66°F, 1.017 at transfer.
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 3 weeks
- Ready to drink on 18-Dec-2010
|Starting Gravity: 1.051||Final Gravity: 1.012|
|Original Extract: 12.6°plato||Apparent Extract: 3.1°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.89°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.1% by volume||(4.0% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 75.7%||Mash Efficiency: 77%|
|Bitterness: 28 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.55||BV: 1.17|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|