- Recipe based on Jeff Renner's McGinty's Irish-American Red Ale, from the HBD. Named for our red dog Piper. I make this beer a lot and it's excellent.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|4.0||pounds||(40%)||Great Western 2-Row Malt|
|3.25||pounds||(32%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|0.5||ounce||U.S. Fuggle whole hops, 4.5% AA (first wort hop)|
|1.5||ounces||U.S. Fuggle whole hops, 4.5% AA (60 minutes)|
- Wyeast 1056 American Ale, pitched at 64°F
- Starter: 2 quart starter (vial -> 2 quarts), continuously stirred, cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 37 quarts water treated with:
- 4 ml Potassium Metabisulfide solution (50ppm). Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 15 quarts mash water treated with:
- 1 teaspoon Gypsum.
- 0.7 ml 88% lactic acid.
- 15 quarts water @ 167°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 150°F (Held 90 minutes), Temperature range: 156 - 144 F.
- 22 quarts water @ 180°F, drain
- Boiled 8.5 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 7 days, 66°F
- Secondary: keg, 7 days, 66°F, 1.012 at transfer.
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 2 weeks
- Ready to drink on 3-Mar-2007
|Starting Gravity: 1.045||Final Gravity: 1.011|
|Original Extract: 11.2°plato||Apparent Extract: 2.8°plato|
|Real Extract: 4.38°plato|
|Alcohol: 4.4% by volume||(3.5% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 74.9%||Mash Efficiency: 69%|
|Bitterness: 28 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.62||BV: 1.31|
- Excellent, as usual.
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|