OldTools Archive

Recent Search Bios FAQ

271637 RH Hutchins <rhhutchins@m...> 2020‑08‑17 WorkMutt Rehab
A set of legs for an old WorkMate has come into my hands.  The top is 
long since gone.  I want to replace the top.  Can someone please tell me 
the dimensions (length and width) of the top pieces?

I'm thinking of using oak.  If you have suggestions about materials to 
consider, I'd be much obliged to hear them.

Bob Hutchins
Temple, TX USA
271638 Matthew Groves <grovesthegrey@g...> 2020‑08‑17 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
Oh Bob,

One does not simply replace the top of a workmate…


Not without delving into the type study and geeking out just a bit.

Workmate Type Study - KirkHMB <https://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Workmate-Type-
Study>


By our very own!




Which type do you have? I just bought two and need to type them as well.

Matthew Groves
Springfield, MO
271639 Kirk Eppler 2020‑08‑17 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
If its a standard size top, this should work, courtesy of Roy Griggs (Later
suggestion says drill the holes at 25/32 instead of 3/4)


https://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Workmate-Type-Study/i-LVCBW6H

I could have sworn Joe Jerkins offered me dimensions for this top
replacement, but I can't find it yet.

https://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Workmate-Type-Study/i-T5g9Z6z

But yeah, as Mr Groves said, perusing the type study would tell you that.

KE

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 3:12 PM RH Hutchins  wrote:

> A set of legs for an old WorkMate has come into my hands.  The top is
> long since gone.  I want to replace the top.  Can someone please tell me
> the dimensions (length and width) of the top pieces?
>
> I'm thinking of using oak.  If you have suggestions about materials to
> consider, I'd be much obliged to hear them.
>
> Bob Hutchins
> Temple, TX USA
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> OldTools is a mailing list catering to the interests of hand tool
> aficionados, both collectors and users, to discuss the history, usage,
> value, location, availability, collectibility, and restoration of
> traditional handtools, especially woodworking tools.
>
> To change your subscription options:
> > https:/
/oldtools.swingleydev.com/mailman/listinfo/oldtools
>
> To read the FAQ:
> > https://swingleydev.com/a
rchive/faq.html
>
> > OldTools archive: https://swingleydev.
com/ot/
>
> OldTools@s...



-- 
Kirk Eppler
Principal Engineer
Pharm Dev Processing
eppler.kirk@g...
650 225-3911
271640 RH Hutchins <rhhutchins@m...> 2020‑08‑17 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
Mine is like the one in image 40 of Kirk's type study.  It is single 
height and folds once tilting the top forward and down.  I wasn't smart 
enough to figure out what type to call it.

bh
271641 Kirk Eppler 2020‑08‑18 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
Oh no!  It's the TV Tray* style.  That may take a bit of fiddling, as there
are some big differences in the tops of some, tho it may not matter much.

Like all workmates, there are differences in the years.  Mine is fairly new
2008, and looks different from the one shown in the picture, and is not
double thick at the jaw..  Someone else will need to chime in with the
sizes, but further below are some notes.

Mine is only 24" wide, vs the 29" of the big ones, and ~4 vs 5" deep.
The Biggest other difference, which may matter, is the mounting on mine is
different from the one shown, I have 2 through holes instead of being
mounted from below.  I will add a pic at the tail end to show how mine
mounts.


https://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Workmate-Type-Study/i-R38Rcxs


Best of luck

* coined by NickNaylo in my corner of the world.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 5:00 PM RH Hutchins  wrote:

> Mine is like the one in image 40 of Kirk's type study.  It is single
> height and folds once tilting the top forward and down.  I wasn't smart
> enough to figure out what type to call it.
>


-- 
Kirk Eppler finally done with the day job for today, time to think about
dinner
271642 Frank Filippone <bmwred735i@g...> 2020‑08‑18 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
Material originally used was 3/4 plywood,  Not quite Baltic Birch, but 
not quite shop Ply either.....  If I were to replace mine, I would use 
3/4 Baltic or a domestic hardwood ply.  More plys is better.

Solid wood seems like a better choice, but for the chance it will warp 
and distort.

Using MDF was used on some later versions.....   I would not repeat that 
choice.....

One correction on the plans shown..... the doubled up areas are 
specified as 1 1/4 wide with the 3/4 dog holes drilled at 1 1/4 from 
edge to center.  Means the hole is placed on the edge of the under board.

Suspect the width of the under board should be increased to 2 inches.

I am not home to check the actual dimensions of my Work Mutts....

On 8/17/2020 12:02 PM, RH Hutchins wrote:
> A set of legs for an old WorkMate has come into my hands.  The top is 
> long since gone.  I want to replace the top.  Can someone please tell 
> me the dimensions (length and width) of the top pieces?
>
> I'm thinking of using oak.  If you have suggestions about materials to 
> consider, I'd be much obliged to hear them.
>
> Bob Hutchins
> Temple, TX USA
>
-- 

*Frank Filippone*

*BMWRed735i@G...*
271643 Kirk Eppler 2020‑08‑18 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
Crud, so much for "trust but verify"  I took that drawing as gospel.

I just went out and measured 3 of mine.  The "meat" of the jaw has a slight
bevel on top, but the width from jaw face to inside of hole is 1/2", and if
the hole is 3/4", add 3/8" to the center, thus 7/8" to the first CL, not
1-1/4".  I get 1-7/16" of double thick top.

I did not do the math with 25/32 holes, that is left as an exercise for the
reader.

Will try to overlay some notes on that picture.  Will add some text in the
comments.

Nice catch Frank, thanks

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Frank Filippone 
wrote:

> Material originally used was 3/4 plywood,  Not quite Baltic Birch, but
> not quite shop Ply either.....  If I were to replace mine, I would use
> 3/4 Baltic or a domestic hardwood ply.  More plys is better.
>
> Solid wood seems like a better choice, but for the chance it will warp
> and distort.
>
> Using MDF was used on some later versions.....   I would not repeat that
> choice.....
>
> One correction on the plans shown..... the doubled up areas are
> specified as 1 1/4 wide with the 3/4 dog holes drilled at 1 1/4 from
> edge to center.  Means the hole is placed on the edge of the under board.
>
> Suspect the width of the under board should be increased to 2 inches.
>
> I am not home to check the actual dimensions of my Work Mutts....
>
> On 8/17/2020 12:02 PM, RH Hutchins wrote:
> > A set of legs for an old WorkMate has come into my hands.  The top is
> > long since gone.  I want to replace the top.  Can someone please tell
> > me the dimensions (length and width) of the top pieces?
> >
> > I'm thinking of using oak.  If you have suggestions about materials to
> > consider, I'd be much obliged to hear them.
> >
> > Bob Hutchins
> > Temple, TX USA
> >
> --
>
> *Frank Filippone*
>
> *BMWRed735i@G...*
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> OldTools is a mailing list catering to the interests of hand tool
> aficionados, both collectors and users, to discuss the history, usage,
> value, location, availability, collectibility, and restoration of
> traditional handtools, especially woodworking tools.
>
> To change your subscription options:
> > https:/
/oldtools.swingleydev.com/mailman/listinfo/oldtools
>
> To read the FAQ:
> > https://swingleydev.com/a
rchive/faq.html
>
> > OldTools archive: https://swingleydev.
com/ot/
>
> OldTools@s...



-- 
Kirk Eppler
Principal Engineer
Pharm Dev Processing
eppler.kirk@g...
650 225-3911
271652 Michael Suwczinsky <nicknaylo@g...> 2020‑08‑19 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
I’d go measure one of mine, but two of the three are holding up a cabinet
project, awaiting the lovely wife’s textile decision, and the third is the
odd combo of a single height Mate, with folding legs to drop it down to
less than single height (I think I know where that one is) B&D was getting
a little weird there. *Now your Single Height Workmate can be a Dual Height
Workmate*
https://flic.kr/p/2jy34Ed

Bug the top is two pieces of pretty close to birch ply, 27x5 inches,
11/16th thick with dog holes just a smidge over 3/4 inch in diameter

Michael

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 6:37 PM Kirk Eppler via OldTools <
oldtools@s...> wrote:

> Oh no!  It's the TV Tray* style.  That may take a bit of fiddling, as there
>
> are some big differences in the tops of some, tho it may not matter much.
>
>
>
> Like all workmates, there are differences in the years.  Mine is fairly new
>
> 2008, and looks different from the one shown in the picture, and is not
>
> double thick at the jaw..  Someone else will need to chime in with the
>
> sizes, but further below are some notes.
>
>
>
> Mine is only 24" wide, vs the 29" of the big ones, and ~4 vs 5" deep.
>
> The Biggest other difference, which may matter, is the mounting on mine is
>
> different from the one shown, I have 2 through holes instead of being
>
> mounted from below.  I will add a pic at the tail end to show how mine
>
> mounts.
>
>
>
> > https://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Workmate-Type-Study/i-R38Rcxs
>
>
>
>
>
> Best of luck
>
>
>
> * coined by NickNaylo in my corner of the world.
>
>
>
>
>
>

-- 
Michael
271653 Kirk Eppler 2020‑08‑19 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
Interestingly, one has single thick jaws, the other has double thick at the
jaw face.  They both look about the same generation.

KE

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:42 PM Michael Suwczinsky 
wrote:

> I’d go measure one of mine, but two of the three are holding up a cabinet
> project, awaiting the lovely wife’s textile decision, and the third is the
> odd combo of a single height Mate, with folding legs to drop it down to
> less than single height (I think I know where that one is) B&D was getting
> a little weird there. *Now your Single Height Workmate can be a Dual Height
> Workmate*
> https://flic.kr/p/2jy34Ed
>
> Bug the top is two pieces of pretty close to birch ply, 27x5 inches,
> 11/16th thick with dog holes just a smidge over 3/4 inch in diameter
>
> Michael
>
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 6:37 PM Kirk Eppler via OldTools <
> oldtools@s...> wrote:
>
>> Oh no!  It's the TV Tray* style.  That may take a bit of fiddling, as
>> there
>>
>> are some big differences in the tops of some, tho it may not matter much.
>>
>>
>>
>> Like all workmates, there are differences in the years.  Mine is fairly
>> new
>>
>> 2008, and looks different from the one shown in the picture, and is not
>>
>> double thick at the jaw..  Someone else will need to chime in with the
>>
>> sizes, but further below are some notes.
>>
>>
>>
>> Mine is only 24" wide, vs the 29" of the big ones, and ~4 vs 5" deep.
>>
>> The Biggest other difference, which may matter, is the mounting on mine is
>>
>> different from the one shown, I have 2 through holes instead of being
>>
>> mounted from below.  I will add a pic at the tail end to show how mine
>>
>> mounts.
>>
>>
>>
>> >> https://kirkhmb.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Workmate-Type-Study/i-R38Rcxs
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Best of luck
>>
>>
>>
>> * coined by NickNaylo in my corner of the world.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Michael
>


-- 
Kirk Eppler
Principal Engineer
Pharm Dev Processing
eppler.kirk@g...
650 225-3911
271659 Michael Suwczinsky <nicknaylo@g...> 2020‑08‑20 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
I don't recall adding anything to the underside of the top, but I suppose
it is possible, maybe when I put cleat's on the bottom of miterboxes and
such and clamp them in the Mutt.

Michael
271670 Gregory Hahn <greghahn@s...> 2020‑08‑23 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
Dos centavos - There appear to be a least two TV-Tray Mutts; the WM125 and the
WM301; both of which have assembly videos on YouTube since they come completely
disassembled.
-Greg
271716 Joe Jerkins <jerkinsjoe@g...> 2020‑08‑31 Re: WorkMutt Rehab
I was traveling so if it's not too late, measurements that might be useful
below.  I replaced the delaminated top of my Workmate.  I assume all tops
are all roughly the same size, but to be specific my Workmate is one of the
earlier models with the cast frame.

Each side was 6/4 maple x 29" L x 5" W.   There was a 3/4" deep x 3 3/4" L
x 3 1/2" wide cutout from the bottom back corner of each piece for
attachment to the frames.   (This left a solid 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 29" face
on the "clamping surface")  Into the center of the clamping face along the
29" length, I cut a 3/8" wide by 3/8" deep V for clamping round items.

3/4" dog holes were drilled as follows (all centered 1" from front or back
edge):

   - Front edges (4 holes in total): 2@ 1" from each edge, 2@ 11" from each
   edge
   - Rear edges (5 holes in total):  2@ 1" from each edge, 2@ 6-1/2" from
   each edge, 1@ center (14-1/2" from edges)

The 3/4" holes ended up being a bit too small for the Workmate dogs, so I
picked up a large rat-tail file and slightly adjusted them.

I used maple because I had the pieces on hand left over from an earlier
project.  It has been in frequent use for many years now and works great.

YMMV,
Kind regards,
Joe Jerkins in San Francisco


On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:42 PM Michael Suwczinsky 
wrote:
271768 Mick Dowling <spacelysprocket@b...> 2020‑09‑13 Re: Weird cutter blade. Was (embarrassingly) Weird Hinge.
GGs

Thank-you to those who were able to identify the Stanley 45/55 slitter cutter
for me. My excuse for not knowing what it was is that like most who have a
Stanley 45 or 55 (I confess to having an example of each), they are tools that
remains unused. I can confirm that both have a slitter cutter almost identical
to my mystery cutter.

The other mystery item is the pendulum out of a type of inclinometer. I worked
for a number of years in the building maintenance department of a blind/vision
impairment organisation. One of the strange items in the workshop was a level
for the use of the blind/vision impaired. I’ve tried to track down a photograph
of an example, but I cannot find anything on the web. The level was wooden,
around 450mm (18”) long, maybe 70mm x 35mm  (3 x 1¼”). In the middle was a
protractor with the pendulum. The protractor had nicks cut in the edge to
indicate what were probably 5 degree increments. To read the level you would
have to feel the location of the point of the pendulum, and then feel the
nearest nick to get what could really only be an idea of level. And only level,
it didn’t have a seperate indicator for checking for plumb. There might have
been a mechanism to lock the pendulum. I’ve sketched roughly what it looked like
and posted it here; https:
//photos.app.goo.gl/BLCicJZPLVe2b8id7 <https://photos.app.goo.gl/BLCicJZPLVe2b8id7>

The example in the workshop wasn’t a one-off. This spare pendulum presumably
came out of another example, and over in the Aids & Equipment shop they had one
on display. 25 years later it may well still be on display.

Mick Dowling
Melbourne Australia 


On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 02:01, Mick Dowling mailto:spacelysprocket@b...>> wrote:
GGs

Another couple of items that were in the old tool box that delivered the small
double action hinge debacle. A mystery cutter, and a tool component.

Pics here; https://photos.
app.goo.gl/BLCicJZPLVe2b8id7 <https://photos.app.goo.gl/BLCicJZPLVe2b8id7> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/BLCicJZPLVe2b8id7
<https://photos.app.goo.gl
/BLCicJZPLVe2b8id7>>

First 2 pictures are of the mystery cutter beside a Stanley router plane. I was
certain that it was some sort of additional cutter for the router, not so sure
now. But it does look familiar. Any clues?

3rd and 4th picture are another mystery item. I know what it is, I wonder if
anyone else does? Part of a tool. The pictures might not be of any use to
someone who regularly would have used the tool.

Mick Dowling
Melbourne
271776 Jack Birky <birkyjw@e...> 2020‑09‑15 Re: No mail , whads up¿¿¿¿ ibjb

            

Recent Search Bios FAQ