OldTools Archive

Recent Search Bios FAQ

270959 Kirk Eppler 2020‑05‑19 Re: Saddle square = OT?
Nothing in my 1919 Marples catalog remotely resembling a saddle square.


On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:37 PM Christopher Dunn <
christopherdunn123@g...> wrote:

> Galoots
> Using a try square, it's easy to transfer a knife mark from one face
> of the board to the edge, as long as the intersection of the face and
> edge is sharp. If the edge is deeply beveled or rounded, you need
> something like a saddle square.
> Knight's American Mechanical Dictionary from 1874 makes no mention of
> a saddle square, nor have I seen them in some of the old catalogs. I
> can't recall ever seeing one in the wild, and an old tool dealer
> friend has never seen them either. Which brings me to my question:
> Are saddle squares a modern invention?
> If yes, what did people us to transfer marks? Folding rules?
> Thank you in advance,
> Chris
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> OldTools is a mailing list catering to the interests of hand tool
> aficionados, both collectors and users, to discuss the history, usage,
> value, location, availability, collectibility, and restoration of
> traditional handtools, especially woodworking tools.
> To change your subscription options:
> > https:/
> To read the FAQ:
> > https://swingleydev.com/a
> > OldTools archive: https://swingleydev.
> OldTools@s...
Sent from my iPad, apologies for the Auto Correct errors. Kirk

Recent Search Bios FAQ