OldTools Archive

Recent Search Bios FAQ

265365 William Ghio <bghio@m...> 2018‑03‑11 Wooden boxes for sharpening stones
Tony shared an inspiring hinged box for a sharpening stone:
>> 
>> I have never seen a box like that either, but I am digging it! Tony, can you
take some close ups of the box?
> 
> Here it is
> 
> > 
http://oldetoolshop.com/jointer/miscpics/sharpeningstone0302a.jpg
> > 
http://oldetoolshop.com/jointer/miscpics/sharpeningstone0302b.jpg
> > 
http://oldetoolshop.com/jointer/miscpics/sharpeningstone0302c.jpg
> > 
http://oldetoolshop.com/jointer/miscpics/sharpeningstone0302d.jpg


It is oriented on edge, apparently for sharpening carving tools. I have a stone
sunk into a box in a similar manner. The stone appears to be a full size 3” x 8”
and it is sunk so only about 1/2” is above the box. A vary deep recess and it
won’t come out with out destroying the box, which I would be loth to do as the
box is so shapely. Last week I picked up a translucent stone in the 3” x8” size
which desperately needed a box to protect it. Last night I rough cut the
material and finished it up today, using the shapely antique box as a model. I
have left the wood raw as it is an oil stone so will patina quickly.

Four photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/77280442@N.../set
s/72157688695894330/with/26883550868/

Bill
265368 Ed Minch <ruby1638@a...> 2018‑03‑11 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones
Beautiful

Ed Minch
265383 Ed Minch <ruby1638@a...> 2018‑03‑12 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
Looks great - how about an egg and dart on the lower bead?

Ed Minch
265384 John Ruth <johnrruth@h...> 2018‑03‑12 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
GG’s

I’m not sure if Ed was kidding when he suggested adding Egg&Dart, though it
surely would look good, raising a prosaic object to a higher level.

My suggestion would be signing and dating it with incised Roman letters.  A
century from now, future Galoots will be researching your name!  And, they might
be your great grandchildren .

Maybe get really fancy and add “Ars , longa, vita brevis.”

Make it an heirloom.

John Ruth
265385 Brent A Kinsey <brentpmed@c...> 2018‑03‑12 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
Bill sent pics of his "Tarted up" whetstone box.

Bill, 
The beads really did the trick! It turned that attractive box into something
special.  Good idea and good work!


Brent A Kinsey
265387 Ed Minch <ruby1638@a...> 2018‑03‑12 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
And add the type of stone!  How about “ne plus ultra”.

Ed Minch
265389 Dragon List <dragon01list@g...> 2018‑03‑12 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
agreed.  on the side/bottom/end of the stone...  "ne plus ultra" should be
what you engrave on the side of the box after engraving "The lyf so short,
the craft so long to lerne" on the other side, and "carpe lapis" on the lid.

bill
felton, ca
265391 John Ruth <johnrruth@h...> 2018‑03‑12 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
Bill,


"Carpe Lapis" - just another example of the intellectual banter that makes this
Porch such a special place to hang out!


I actually did that.  Was walking around the famous Englishtown NJ Flea Market
with an old buddy when I happened to be the first one to peer into a particular
box.  Out came a translucent white Arkansas stone, which the vendor quoted me at
$2.


Somebody on this list once said there are no friends at a Flea Market or an
Auction.


When visiting a Flea together, I tell my friends that if they see something they
like, they must not put it down until they've definitely decided not to buy it,
because I'm RIGHT BEHIND YOU and it will be gone into my kill bag.


There have been "second thoughts" situations where somebody grabbed up what I
procrastinated over. Those memories burn like hot coals.  "Non-buyer's remorse"
is even worse than Buyer's Remorse!


So, yeah SIEZE THE STONE!  Most people selling them have no idea what they are
really worth, and underprice them.


John R.

________________________________
From: Dragon List 
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 6:44:10 PM
To: Ed Minch
Cc: John Ruth; OldTools List
Subject: Re: [OldTools] Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II

agreed.  on the side/bottom/end of the stone...  "ne plus ultra" should be what
you engrave on the side of the box after engraving "The lyf so short, the craft
so long to lerne" on the other side, and "carpe lapis" on the lid.

bill
felton, ca

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Ed Minch mailto:ruby1638@a...>> wrote:
And add the type of stone!  How about “ne plus ultra”.
265393 Dragon List <dragon01list@g...> 2018‑03‑12 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
john, see interspersed.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:55 PM, John Ruth  wrote:

> "Carpe Lapis" - just another example of the intellectual banter that makes
> this Porch such a special place to hang out!
>

 thanks for the compliment.  with my sense of humor (humour, jeff), having
a sharpening stone box that declaims "carpe lapis" would make me laugh
every time i carpe-d it.

I actually did that.  Was walking around the famous Englishtown NJ Flea
> Market with an old buddy when I happened to be the first one to peer into a
> particular box.  Out came a translucent white Arkansas stone, which the
> vendor quoted me at $2. Somebody on this list once said there are no
> friends at a Flea Market or an Auction.  When visiting a Flea together, I
> tell my friends that if they see something they like, they must not put it
> down until they've definitely decided not to buy it, because I'm RIGHT
> BEHIND YOU and it will be gone into my kill bag. There have been "second
> thoughts" situations where somebody grabbed up what I procrastinated over.
> Those memories burn like hot coals.  "Non-buyer's remorse" is even worse
> than Buyer's Remorse!
>

oh, hell yes.  just ask eppler or nicknaylo or other fleabags about "the
kasper fade".  it's yielded me some nice alameda kit (loot, paddy), not
least a $25 miter jack in fine fettle, a $2 stanley 4 1/2, type 9 (wide
smoothing plane, jeff), and a $125 7" columbian blacksmith's post vise, all
of which were paid for before anyone else knew i'd even disappeared.  not
quite steve reynolds and dr. d8 elbowing for witherbys, but you've got the
picture.

i still lament a nice disston panel saw i didn't pick up in time that went
home with greg isola.

So, yeah SIEZE THE STONE!  Most people selling them have no idea what they
> are really worth, and underprice them.
>

again, yes.  my last pike lily white washita came out of a box of various
that other fleabags had handled, but i grabbed it first.  a size 6, 5 3/4"
x 2" x 3/4" with the label on the side and in a dirty box.  underpriced?
yeah, $2 is underpriced.

bill
felton, ca
265408 Thomas Conroy 2018‑03‑13 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
Bill Kasper wrote:

"oh, hell yes.  just ask eppler or nicknaylo or other fleabags about "the
kasper fade".  it's yielded me some nice alameda kit (loot, paddy), not
least a $25 miter jack in fine fettle, a $2 stanley 4 1/2, type 9 (wide
smoothing plane, jeff), and a $125 7" columbian blacksmith's post vise, all
of which were paid for before anyone else knew i'd even disappeared....
my last pike lily white washita came out of a box of various
that other fleabags had handled, but i grabbed it first...."


Its all very well to crow on your dunghill, Bill, but as I remember it you were
back in the ruck with the rest of us when Joe Jerkins cut through an aisle to
one ahead and picked up an infill smoother without issues for $75. And I'd be
willing to bet you joined the rest of us in congratulating him----without
rancor.
While we're on the subject....Didn't that lilywhite Washita come out of the same
box where I got my third translucent white Arkansas, before you went grubbing at
the leavings? Just sayin'...
Tom Conroy
(The one that stirs my rue is the fine, though dirty, 8" brace Joe got at about
the same time as the infill. I saw it before him, too, but didn't realize how
big it was. I haven't seen one since. And, by the way, I did miss the Washita,
and paid more than $2 for the translucent Arkansas, though still nowhere near
its value.)
265411 Ed Minch <ruby1638@a...> 2018‑03‑13 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
8” brace!!!! I couldn't sell the 2 6” I had at Patina last weekend.  8”
brace!!!! They are as common as dirt here.  I even have a 5” Millers Falls 32
down there somewhere.  How many can I send out to you??  8” brace!!!!

(Did you mean 16” sweep with an 8” throw??)

Ed Minch
265413 Thomas Conroy 2018‑03‑13 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
Ed Minch wrote:  
 >8” brace!!!! I couldn't sell the 2 6” I had at Patina last weekend.  8”
brace!!!! They are as common as dirt here.  I even have a 5” Millers>Falls 32
down there somewhere.  How many can I send out to you??  8” brace!!!!
>(Did you mean 16” sweep with an 8” throw??)<


8" throw, 16" sweep. I should have said, but I couldn't remember which was
which.


Tom
265414 Dragon List <dragon01list@g...> 2018‑03‑13 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Thomas Conroy 
wrote:

> Its all very well to crow on your dunghill, Bill, but as I remember it you
> were back in the ruck with the rest of us when Joe Jerkins cut through an
> aisle to one ahead and picked up an infill smoother without issues for $75.
> And I'd be willing to bet you joined the rest of us in congratulating
> him----without rancor.
>

but of course.  after thoroughly cursing him under my breath, though, to be
honest (and mine weren't the only curses i heard muttered from the
assembled, either, then or since.  of course, joe is a peach about it, he
brings it up from time to time just to get us muttering :) ).

While we're on the subject....Didn't that lilywhite Washita come out of the
> same box where I got my third translucent white Arkansas, before you went
> grubbing at the leavings? Just sayin'...
>

i do believe so, and i couldn't believe it was still there after you'd
rummaged.  then again, your box leavings are like fine, curly maple
shavings, so it's not too much of a problem :D


> (The one that stirs my rue is the fine, though dirty, 8" brace Joe got at
> about the same time as the infill. I saw it before him, too, but didn't
> realize how big it was. I haven't seen one since. And, by the way, I did
> miss the Washita, and paid more than $2 for the translucent Arkansas,
> though still nowhere near its value.)
>

i do remember that brace.  it was a big bastahd (bastard, jeff).

best,
bill
felton, ca
just say i am looking forward to the april fleabag (as long as it's not on
easter)
265418 Claudio DeLorenzi <claudio@d...> 2018‑03‑14 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
That’s what I was looking for all last summer!  Boring 2” holes in hard Ash
slabs with a 10 in brace was hopeless.
I’ve since sharpened up a barn auger for round two this summer.
Claudio

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM Thomas Conroy via OldTools <
oldtools@s...> wrote:
265428 scott grandstaff <scottg@s...> 2018‑03‑14 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
> i do remember that brace.  it was a big bastahd (bastard, jeff).

   The last 16" brace I saw, was on Ebay.
It was listed in a screwy category hardly anyone was going to find.
It had a day to go, 1 page view, and one bid.   $5

       The bidder was GLangford................
I bit my lip and let George have it
       yours Scott
265433 paul womack <pwomack@p...> 2018‑03‑15 Re: Wooden boxes for sharpening stones II
scott grandstaff wrote:
>
>> i do remember that brace.  it was a big bastahd (bastard, jeff).
>
>    The last 16" brace I saw, was on Ebay.
> It was listed in a screwy category hardly anyone was going to find.
> It had a day to go, 1 page view, and one bid.   $5
>
>        The bidder was GLangford................
> I bit my lip and let George have it

That must have been a long time ago; eBay has been
hiding bidder names for years...

  BugBear

Recent Search Bios FAQ