OldTools Archive

Recent Search Bios FAQ

128199 sepost@i... (Scott Post) 2004‑01‑25 Left handed veneer saw?
All the veneer saws I've seen on the market are bent the wrong way.  Is
there such an animal as a left handed veneer saw?  If so, where can I
get one?

Since I already know the answer I'll go ahead and ask the inevitable
followup question.  Has anyone ever made a veneer cutter similar to
this one:

  http://www.fine-tools.com/G302220.htm

Seems a fella could make one a whole lot cheaper than they're selling for
and end up with Jen-U-Wine wood instead of plastic.  If you own or have
made one, would you mind snapping a disassembled picture for me?

Thanks.

-- 
Scott Post      sepost@i...     http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/
Who has a box of burl headed his way...


128212 Jack Kamishlian <Kamishlianj@w...> 2004‑01‑25 Re: Left handed veneer saw?
How about mat cutters, as in picture framing?  They have to do
essentially the same thing, and they may come cheaper.

Cheers,
Jack in Endwell, NY

1/25/04 9:21:21 AM, sepost@i... (Scott Post) wrote:

>Since I already know the answer I'll go ahead and ask the inevitable
>followup question.  Has anyone ever made a veneer cutter similar to
>this one:
>
>  http://www.fine-tools.com/G302220.htm
>
>Seems a fella could make one a whole lot cheaper than they're selling for
>and end up with Jen-U-Wine wood instead of plastic.  If you own or have
>made one, would you mind snapping a disassembled picture for me?
>


128284 Kirk Eppler <keppler@g...> 2004‑01‑26 Re: Left handed veneer saw?
There are 45 and 90 degree mat cutters available from Logan.  See them
at Dick Blick Art Supply,

http://www.dickblick.com/zz171/15/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1024

No affilitation, other than I have the 45, but not the 90.

"Foster, Jim"  from Minnesnowta wrote:

> They don't cut at a 90 deg angle. Different ones cut at
> different angles to get varying amounts of edge showing on
> the mats.

-- 
Kirk Eppler who's got his daughter trained to say Minne Snow Taaa as 3
words.
Eppler.Kirk@g...


128281 "Foster, Jim" <james.foster@u...> 2004‑01‑26 RE: Left handed veneer saw?
They don't cut at a 90 deg angle. Different ones cut at
different angles to get varying amounts of edge showing on
the mats.  Don't know if that would matter too much for
veneer, but in any case, this does sound like a good=20
MIY (Make It Yourself) opportunity.  =20

Jim Foster
Minnesnowta

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jack Kamishlian [mailto:Kamishlianj@w...]
> Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 4:41 PM
> To: oldtools
> Subject: Re: [oldtools] Left handed veneer saw?
>=20
>=20
> How about mat cutters, as in picture framing?  They have to do
> essentially the same thing, and they may come cheaper.
>=20


128285 Ted Shuck <TShuck@l...> 2004‑01‑26 RE: Left handed veneer saw?
Scott asks about a veneer cutter:

This tool doesn't look like a saw at all,
more like a slitting device.  The metal
plate on the side looks like it contains
a single-edge razor blade, or something similar,
angled so that the rear end is down and the
front end up.  If this were angled so that the
rear end drooped just the thickness of the
veneer, you should get a nice cut.  The cutter
that is shown does not have the blade registered
against one face of the tool.  If you are cutting
against a batten, you need to allow for this.

The horizontal U shaped metal thingy is a 
fence which gives clearance for the veneer,
useful for edge trimming.  Looks like it can be 
removed for cutting against a batten.

I'd think you could make the handle any shape
you want.  Attach a blade in a mortise on one 
side so that the blade can be rotated to drop 
the rear end of the blade to give a slitting cut. 
Attach the blade with a bolt and wingnut through
the body.  I'd think that one of those utility
knife blades would work well, I think they have
a hole in the middle?
 
The fence could be made from a block of wood with 
a saw kerf for the veneer clearance.

Does any of this make sense?

Ted


128292 Jim Thompson <jdthompsonca@s...> 2004‑01‑26 Re: Left handed veneer saw?
>
> The fence could be made from a block of wood with
> a saw kerf for the veneer clearance.
>
> Does any of this make sense?
>

I came late to this discussion. Why would anyone want to cut veneer 
with a mat knife?  The correct instrument is one of those little veneer 
saws that have teeth on 2 edges. Veneer is usually cut in a stack with 
the veneer saw using a batten for a straight edge. The purpose of this 
is matched edges. The saw is ambidextrous. The teeth are sharpened just 
like you would sharpen a knife. As many soft strokes as is necessary 
are used to cut through the stack while the saw is held with the blade 
flat against a thick batten so the angle of cut remains constant. You 
can cut single pieces the same way.

  If you are cutting a single piece of veneer, you can also use a very 
sharp chisel that has been specially prepared for this purpose and is 
used for no other purpose. It is also held flat against the batten and 
used like a knife, or it can be used freehand for curves. This old 
fashioned method is worth learning.

Jim Thompson, the old millrat in Riverside, CA


128327 "John J Black" <jjblack@w...> 2004‑01‑27 RE: Left handed veneer saw?
Good Morning GG's,

I'm catching up on some posts this morning as I have the day off due to
freezing rain and snow conditions outside.  Sorry if I'm kind of late
commenting ..

I agree with Jim the veneer saws work well, but I have made a home made
cutter that worked pretty well for cutting veneer at an angle.  (I was
making a veneer backgammon board and wanted the pieces to have a seamless
looking fit).  Anyway, I used 2 pieces of wood and a replacement blade for a
utility knife with a couple of holes and screws to hold the thingy together.
I placed the blade at and angle between the screws and slid the hole thing
against a straight edge.  I made a quickie drawing of the thing if your
interested...

http://jjblack.net/VeneerCutter.jpg

Not sure if this helps ...

My 2 Cents,
John

John J Black (A Machigaloot)
Email: john@j...

Like I always say ... If it wasn't for me there wouldn't be anyone like me
around

Jim Thompson wrote:

The correct instrument is one of those little veneer saws that have teeth on
2 edges. Veneer is usually cut in a stack with
the veneer saw using a batten for a straight edge. The purpose of this
is matched edges. The saw is ambidextrous. The teeth are sharpened just
like you would sharpen a knife. As many soft strokes as is necessary
are used to cut through the stack while the saw is held with the blade
flat against a thick batten so the angle of cut remains constant. You
can cut single pieces the same way.





Recent Search Bios FAQ