- Named after a one-eyed squirrel we had in our yard this fall.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|8||pounds||(85%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|1||pound||(10%)||Briess Caramel Malt 60L|
|8||ounces||(5%)||Briess Special Roast|
|1||ounce||Sterling whole hops, 7% AA (first wort hop)|
|2||ounces||Cascade whole hops, 7.4% AA (60 minutes)|
|1||ounce||Kent Goldings whole hops, 4.2% AA (1 minute)|
- White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast, pitched at 64°F
- Starter: Pitched directly from vial.
- Aeration: Drill aerator for three minutes after pitching
- Fairbanks city water
- 36.5 quarts water treated with:
- 4 ml Potassium Metabisulfide solution (50ppm). Removes chlorine ion and chloramine, reduces oxidation
- 14.25 quarts mash water treated with:
- 2 teaspoons Gypsum. Adds 383 ppm sulfate, 159 ppm calcium; lowers mash pH.
- 14.25 quarts water @ 163°F, grist ratio of 1.5 quarts:pound @ 153°F (Held 90 minutes), Started at 159 F, cooled to 154 F.
- 22.5 quarts water @ 178°F, drain
- Initially got a stuck sparge, second run went smoothly.
- Boiled 8 gallons for 90 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 14 days, 66°F
- Secondary: keg, 14 days, 56°F
- Kegged at 8 psi, 50°F (1.8 volumes CO2)
- Conditioned for 2 weeks
- Ready to drink on 23-Nov-2008
|Starting Gravity: 1.056||Final Gravity: 1.018|
|Original Extract: 13.8°plato||Apparent Extract: 4.6°plato|
|Real Extract: 6.34°plato|
|Alcohol: 5.0% by volume||(3.9% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 66.8%||Mash Efficiency: 82%|
|Bitterness: 57 IBU||Color: 12 SRM|
|BU:SG: 1.02||BV: 1.84|
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|