- Named after our cat Alexi. Recipe modified from a Terry Foster old ale recipe from BYO, September 2004.
- I'm planning on using this batch as the progenitor of a Solera ale, named and described by Jeff Renner in a January 2002 Zymurgy article and on the HBD. I'll drain half to three-quarters of the keg and then top off the remainder with a new batch. As the beer ages, it should develop some true old ale character. As tribute to a great cat, Old Alexi will always be with us.
Recipe (for 5 gallons final volume)
|12.0||pounds||(80%)||Crisp Maris Otter Pale Malt|
|1.0||pound||(7%)||American Munich 10L|
|1.0||pound||(7%)||American Munich 30L|
|1.0||pound||(6%)||American Crystal 60L|
|2.5||ounces||U.S. Willamette whole hops, 4.5% AA (60 minutes)|
|1.5||ounces||U.S. Willamette whole hops, 4.5% AA (1 minute)|
|0.25||teaspoon||Irish Moss (15 minutes)|
|2||gallons||Gone Awry IPA (10 months)|
|2||gallons||Dogyard XXX Ale (14 months)|
|2||gallons||Devil Dog Rye IPA (19 months)|
|2||gallons||Hop Bitters (24 months)|
- White Labs WLP033 Klassic Ale Yeast, pitched at 68°F
- Starter: 3 quart starter, built up from tube (tube, 1 pint, 3 quarts), cooled, decanted, warmed
- Aeration: Drill aerator for two minutes after pitching, again three hours later
- Fairbanks city water
- 39.8 quarts water treated with:
- 1 Campden tablet.
- 18 quarts mash water treated with:
- 2.0 grams Gypsum.
- 1.2 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 21.8 quarts sparge water treated with:
- 3.0 ml 88% Lactic Acid.
- 18.0 quarts water @ 168°F, grist ratio of 1.2 quarts:pound @ 155°F (Held 90 minutes)
- 6.5 quarts water @ 210°F, drain
- 15.3 quarts water @ 168°F, drain
- Boiled 8.0 gallons for 85 minutes to yield 5.5 gallons wort
- Primary: bucket, 9 days, 65°F, temperature from 63 - 66 degrees, 1.019 at transfer to secondary
- Secondary: glass, 11 days, 64°F
- Kegged with 81 grams dextrose
- Conditioned for 12 weeks
- Ready to drink on 19-Dec-2004
|Starting Gravity: 1.073||Final Gravity: 1.018|
|Original Extract: 17.7°plato||Apparent Extract: 4.58°plato|
|Real Extract: 7.10°plato|
|Alcohol: 7.2% by volume||(5.7% by weight)|
|Apparent Attenuation: 74.2%||Mash Efficiency: 74%|
|Bitterness: 35 IBU||Color: 14 SRM|
|BU:SG: 0.48||BV: 1.01|
- 24-Mar-2005 (29 weeks) -- Awesome beer. Malty, sweet, slightly bitter finish. Rich fruity overtones.
Other Brewing pages:
|List of recipes||Equipment||Books||Brewery Research|